With the tablet (iPad) craze in full swing and everyone seemingly caught in apple fever, what are the actual advantages of having a tablet or iPad over a netbook or laptop?

As far as I can see the advantages of a ipad or tablet would be:

- Quick start-up - An iPad or Android tablet will start up in seconds rather than minutes, which is much easier to check email or facebook quickly

- better browsing experience - The touchscreen experience is very good, you don't need a mouse and it presents movies and videos in a hugely enjoyable

- More portable, it is much easier to sit on the lounge with a iPad than a laptop (which heats up)

- Closed system - Apple control the content so you know that you won't find any nasties

The disadvantages of a table or iPad

- on screen keyboard - I can't see how anyone could create a powerpoint preso or type a long essay on a touch screen keypad

- Closed system - you can't just use an iPad to download torrents

- Portability - It is easier to carry than a laptop or netbook but you still can't slip it into your pocket

- Games - I see a lot of casual games on the iPad, but what about heavy duty PC games (WoW)?

It will be interesting to see how good a android tablet will be and if it will be a priced competitively. I know that i use my iPhone at home a lot to check emails or my favourite website rather than my PC because it opens so fast. I could use a tablet is the same way.